More about Cork Fashion
Cork is well known across different applications such as some of the best quality wine stoppers, home objects, or construction flooring or wall thermal linings.
Fashion cork textile, however, is relatively new. The development of further innovative textile technologies makes the new cork fabrics a whole new arena to discover. Here we try to demonstrate and answer some of your most frequently asked questions on cork, especially the quality used by Bag Affair.
Bags from trees
When we had the idea to design practical business bags for working women, we knew we needed to be original not only in function but also importantly in durability. With indepth research into the most sustainable direction for environmentally friendly materials, that are strong and robust for heavy duty wear, but also aesthetically elegant – cork won the prize !
How it’s made ?
Cork is harvested from tree barks without ever having to cut down or harm the cork tree itself in any way. In fact, harvesting the bark every 9 years allow the tree to renew itself and breath, and regenerate, therefore living for a VERY long time.
This is such an amazing most durable source we know on earth. Portugal wins as the country with the highest number of trees as well as artisans who are experienced in the harvest. Cork bark are then transported crushed and boiled in vapour to soft them up. They are then flattened and sliced to create fabric rolls with cotton to be used in sewing.
This is how this magical natural material is used your in your Bag Affair !
Did you know, cork is:
- Absolutely natural
- Antistatic (dust won’t stick to it)
- Lasting, keeping its shape & resistance Perfect for allergic persons as dust & mites
- cannot stick to the cork
- Recyclable & biodegradable
- Sustainable and friendly to nature
- Warm & soft touch
- Easy to clean
- Naturally waterproof
How to maintain your cork bag
We make high quality business bags made to last. With a little love & care they can live with you for years. Here some tips to increase the lifespan of your bag:
- Cork is a natural & needs natural cleaning methods.
- Clean your cork bag with warm water and a soft cloth or sponge.
- If needed use natural soap such as curd soap
- Let it dry in a place out of the sun
- Never use chemical or acid cleaning soap on your bag!
- Cork is easier to clean than leather, no oil is needed.
- Cork will get even softer by time, yet thanks to its lean textile, it does not break.